JFS of East Bay Signs with Unicentric
For 130 years, Jewish Family & Children's Services of the East Bay has met the challenges of our community through direct services to those most in need.
In 1877, the agency was founded with the name the Daughters of Israel Relief Society. We were a volunteer organization caring for the Jewish aged, widowed, and orphaned, distributing food and clothing to the needy and finding homes for transients.
After the 1906 earthquake, the Daughters of Israel was active in caring for and resettling the huge influx of newly homeless people that moved across the bay from San Francisco. The next several decades also saw the agency developing support programs to provide for the emotional needs of the community. In the mid-1920s, the first professional social worker came on staff.